Log In
Plan Your Trek Now

Samuel de Champlain Portage 1618

Peterborough, Canada
4/5
2 Views
attractions
Owner description: This First Nations Trail that Samuel de Champlain used in 1618 was used by the First Nations for more than 10,000 years and... more » Owner description: This First Nations Trail that Samuel de Champlain used in 1618 was used by the First Nations for more than 10,000 years and ran from just above Little Lake in Peterborough to the former Mud Lake in Bridgenorth, now called Chemong Lake. Back then this trail was marked the same as other trails by blazed trees and large boulders, now modern man has marked a point in the trail across from Peterborough City Hall with the Wall Of Honour in 2010 and the Cenotaph in 1929, both of which are separate monuments but do include some First Nations... Read More
Owner description: This First Nations Trail that Samuel de Champlain used in 1618 was used by the First Nations for more than 10,000 years and... more » Owner description: This First Nations Trail that Samuel de Champlain used in 1618 was used by the First Nations for more than 10,000 years and ran from just above Little Lake in Peterborough to the former Mud Lake in Bridgenorth, now called Chemong Lake. Back then this trail was marked the same as other trails by blazed trees and large boulders, now modern man has marked a point in the trail across from Peterborough City Hall with the Wall Of Honour in 2010 and the Cenotaph in 1929, both of which are separate monuments but do include some First Nations People who fought in the wars. Most of the trail is now covered by Chemong Road but in Peterborough it crosses many privately held lands such as Smith Town Hill House, Kirkview, Braetop Cotage(Not Cottage) and the Sage/Jewell House near the Chemong Road end. « less
0 Comment
Be the First
to Add a Review
Submit
Write a review