Travelling around places is one of the greatest adventures of life. The United States, tagged as the Land of the Free, has all the elements to make your travels even more fun and exciting, from the spectacles of nature’s wonders to the relentless beats of city hustles. Here are 12 of the places you should visit in the US this 2015.
12. San Antonio, TexasA major player in the State of Texas, the city of San Antonio is often viewed one of the fastest growing cities in terms of economy. With that, it is undeniable that this city is one of the top most visited tourist destination in the US. They have a lot to offer from historical sites (The Alamo) to amusement parks (SeaWorld Oceanarium); name it they have it.
Top attractions in San Antonio
- 1Majestic Theater
- 2San Antonio Missions National Historical Park
- 3Morgan’s Wonderland
11. Chicago, IllinoisOftentimes, people would ask: “Is Chicago worth going to in the US?”. I’d say, let million of tourists who visit the city every year tell you that. Of course, the Windy City is, and will always be a place worth visiting. It has plenty of impressive display, including historical sites, breathtaking infrastructures and iconic cultural institutions. What’s more, you can enjoy roaming outdoors, as the city has something the best nature has to offer.
Top attractions in Chicago
- 1Art Institute of Chicago
- 2Lyric Opera of Chicago
- 3Cloud Gate
10. Savannah, GeorgiaFlourishing population of oak trees, classic architectural buildings like historic churches and forts, and hospitable people are only some of the things that make Savannah a congenial US holiday destination. The remnants of its beautiful past are still vibrant up until today. With its grandeur and historic beauties, it is no wonder throngs of people every year plan a trip to this US destination.
Top attractions in Savannah
- 1Savannah Historic District
- 2Historic Savannah Theatre
- 3Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
9. St. Augustine, FloridaFamous for housing some of the largest vacation resort in the world such as Walt Disney World Resort, Florida is consistently a top-notch travel destination not just in the US, but in the entire world. Amusement theme parks are all over the state, but what’s interesting is that Florida is the home of the oldest existing city in the country. The city of St. Augustine in the northeast part of the state has become a major tourist destination, thanks primarily to its unique historical character. In here, you can explore faces of the different era that the place underwent: from the time immemorial to the Spanish then the British and then the current era.
Top attractions in St. Augustine
- 1St. Augustine Wild Reserve
- 2The Ximenez-Fatio House
- 3Flagler College
8. Charleston, South CarolinaNamed after King Charles II of England, Charleston is the epitome of an old world in a modern day setting in the US. This very old city in South Carolina, US is known for its affluent history, well-preserved classical architecture, renowned fine-dining restaurants and very polite and heart-warming people. Charleston was regarded as “America’s Most Friendly City” by Travel + Leisure in 2011. And because of its beguiling old sophisticated charm, it was chosen as the venue of the annual Spoleto Festival.
Top attractions in Charleston
- 1Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge
- 2College of Charleston
- 3Charleston Waterfront Park
7. Newport, Rhode IslandFamous for its picturesque shorelines, ocean views and a long stretch cliff walk, Newport is one of the most beautiful and stunning places in the US. This seaside city is also best known as the playground for wealthy American socialites including the Astors and the Vanderbilts. Newport is also considered the yachting capital of the world due to its proximity to the open sea.
Top attractions in Newport
- 1The Breakers
- 2Ocean Drive
- 3The Elms
6. Sedona, ArizonaEveryone loves a little bit of Arizona, US. And if you haven’t been here ever, this year must be the time. Come and join many of the vagabonds who go on a journey to Sedona, a city in Arizona notable for stunning red sandstone formation. They are also famous for these so-called “vortexes” which became popular for spiritual reasons.
Top attractions in Sedona
- 1Red Rock Scenic Byway (SR 179)
- 2Cathedral Rock
- 3Oak Creek Canyon
5. Fairbanks, AlaskaHave you heard about the famous aurora borealis or commonly known as the Northern Lights? Whether you may have heard it the first time or not, this spectacular changing of illuminating colors of the pole ward horizon is a common sighting in the peaceful home rule city of Fairbanks which is one of the main highlights of tourism in Alaska aside from their popular winter sport events during winter season.
Top attractions in Fairbanks
- 1Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum
- 2Morris Thompson Cultural & Visitors Center
- 3McKinley Explorer
4. New York, New York, USAs cliché as Alicia Keys’ song goes, New York City is truly a concrete jungle where dreams are made of. Being the most visited city in the US, New York is more than just being a center for global economic power, as it’s also a fantastic place to spend your holidays. Wander around the busy streets in Manhattan, meander through the Central Park, take the Staten Island Ferry, walk the Brooklyn Bridge and never forget to visit the prodigious Empire State Building.
Top attractions in New York, New York, US
- 1Manhattan Skyline
- 2The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- 3Central Park
3. Portland, MaineOftentimes, this city is called “The Other Portland” since there’s another city of the same name in Oregon. This quaint city in Maine has become a popular spot for people who want to enjoy the seafood goodness, pre-civil war history lectures in the US, and peaceful beach experience. The endless variety of restaurants, coffee shops and boutiques will surely have you coming back for more.
Top attractions in Portland
- 1Casco Bay Islands
- 2Hadlock Field
- 3Portland Museum of Art
2. Glacier County, MontanaMontana, the land of breathtaking unspoiled landscapes and vast blue skies, is without a doubt one of the most sought destinations in the US. And one of the main attractions is the mesmerizing calm waters of St. Mary Lake in Glacier National Park. If you want to enjoy utmost tranquility in the West, Glacier County is your best bet.
Top attractions in Glacier County
- 1Hidden Lake
- 2Kootenai Falls Swinging Bridge
- 3Flathead Lake
1. San Diego, California, USThe thing about San Diego is that it’s a US holiday destination perfect for everyone. It’s mainly because this evolving city in California offers every kind of activity imaginable: from world-renowned tourist attractions to cool and exciting outdoor recreations to growing arts and culture community. What you might not know about San Diego is the list of world’s best breweries located in the city. So there is definitely an increase of beer connoisseurs visiting this beach-side community.
Top attractions in San Diego
- 1USS Midway Museum
- 2Fort Rosecrans Cemetery
- 3Torrey Pines State Reserve
Book Your Trip: Logistical Tips & Tricks
Shop for Travel EssentialsGet all of your essential travel gear right from our store. We hand pick the best travel products. Get everything from luggage to camping gear and other travel accessories for your trip.
Book your flightFind cheap flights using SkyScanner. This search engine is are our favorite, making sure you get the best deal for tickets all over the world. They are great at aggregating flights from multiple providers.
Book your accommodationsIf you're looking for a hostel, you should book it with Hostelworld. If you want to stay somewhere else, book with Trekeffect. Our hotel booking system is powered by the Priceline Partner Network and we donate 10% of the hotel booking value to UNICEF to help starving children around the world.
Don't forget travel insuranceProtects yourself against illness, injury, theft, and even cancellations with travel insurance. You're buying comprehensive protection in case anything goes wrong. We never recommend traveling without it. We’ve been using World Nomads, a great company, with great service and highly recommend them. - World Nomads (for everyone below 70) - Travelx Insurance (for those over 70)
Looking for the best companies to save money with?Check out our resource page for the absolute best companies to use when you travel! We list our favorite companies that save people the most money when they travel and we think it will help you too! Disclosure: Some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we earn a commission if you make a purchase. We only recommend products and companies we use and the income keeps the community supported.
Share Your Travel Experiences With Us
We want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on the article? What did you find most interesting and do you have any of your own experiences you can you share with us to make this article even better? Let us know in the comments!