From the jaw-dropping beauty of Chile’s Marble Caves to Japan’s ethereal Bamboo Forest, the world is home to dozens of extraordinary places that will take your breath away. Mysterious, visually stunning and otherworldly, these unique places defy the norm as well as go beyond the beauty of a stereotypical landscape and attraction can achieve. While these places may seem like scenes from a dream, they are truly a testament to our engineering ingenuity as well as Mother Nature’s innate ability to amaze even the most traveled people. Yearning for some spectacular and unusual sights? Tired of gazing on quintessential landscapes of white-sand beaches, rolling hills and azure waters? Then, book a flight, grab your passport, and see these remarkably spots in person! Traveling soon? You'll need a versatile bag and a bunch of travel gear for your trip. Check out these cool bags and travel equipment built specifically for travel junkies!
1. Tianzi Mountains, ChinaWonderfully thin and towering, these sky-tapering mountains in China are so alien-like that they became an inspiration to the floating mountains featured in James Cameron’s blockbuster flick, “Avatar”. Formed underwater over 300 million years ago, a strong flow of water incinerated its surrounding sandstones, leaving only these resilient and magnificent stone pillars. Some of the columns in this part of China have reached more than 4,000 feet above sea level. Score amazingly affordable hotels in Zhangjiajie! → Click here to book your stay in Zhangjiajie, China!
2. Trolltunga, NorwayTrolltunga literally means “Troll’s Tongue”, but trust me, that’s the last thing you are going to think about, as you soak in the scenery from 2,300 feet above the Ringedalsvatnet lake. Enjoy the best cheap hotels in Odda with these superb options! → Click here to book your stay in Odda, China!
3. Grand Canyon, United StatesGrand Canyon, one of America’s greatest treasures and iconic landmarks, overwhelms the senses of its beholders with its immense size and sheer majesty. Deemed as one the world’s great seven natural wonders, this bucket-list worthy spot offers a ton of exciting outdoor adventures as well, including trekking and white-water rafting. [get_treks_content_sc id= 23018]
4. Tulip Fields, The NetherlandsWhether you love bright colors and flowers or simply have an appreciation for well-designed fields, the lovely tulips in the Netherlands will surely deliver a visual treat. From Holland to Michigan, USA, there are many places across the world that grow and foster tulips, but nothing is quite as striking as what awaits you in The Netherlands. Bag surprisingly cheap accommodations in Lisse with these hotels! → Click here to book your stay in Lisse, Netherlands! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22554]
5. Salar de Uyuni, BoliviaWith its extraordinary flatness and seemingly endless expanse of hexagonal tiles, Salar de Uyuni – the world’s largest salt flat – gives you the sensation of stepping into an alien planet. Stretching for over 3,000 square miles, you’ll not only see the mysterious beauty of Salar de Uyuni for miles, but it will also create an illusion of a massive mirror during the right weather circumstances. As an added plus, there are numerous caves to explore in the mountains nearby, making it an even more appealing spot for the adventurous.
6. Sea of Stars, Vaadhoo Island, MaldivesThe internet has been, for years, dropping jaws with images of the dreamlike beach in Vaadhoo Island, Maldives. A fantasy-like experience that should be in everyone’s bucket list, this spectacle and phenomena has been fittingly nicknamed as “Sea of Stars”, thanks to its countless of glowing blue bioluminescent phytoplankton. Get the best hotel deals in Vaadhoo with ease! → Click here to book your stay in Vaadhoo, Maldives!
7. The Door to Hell, TurkmenistanIt’s technically a geyser, but the moniker “Door to Hell” just sounds a bit catchier and better, doesn’t it? What’s more, the burning pool of the lava in the Karakum Desert resembles exactly what an entrance to the underworld looks like – red, hot and steamy. Enjoy amazing hotel bargains for your Ashgabat escape! → Click here to book your stay in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan!
8. Tunnel of Love, UkraineTunnel of Love is a 1.8-mile private railroad passage set deep in the woods of a region in Ukraine. With its serene and beautiful setting, the passage has become a favorite spot for photographers as well as romantic couples. As a matter of fact, it can be a perfect location for a romantic photo-shoot or proposal. Just be sure to steer clear of the tracks, when the train that uses it is in action. Experience a memorable trip to Klevan without spending a fortune with these great hotel bargains. → Click here to book your stay in Klevan, Ukraine!
9. Marble Caves, ChileHundreds of years of wave erosion have created the awe-inspiring effect that gives these caves their one-of-a-kind marbleized appearance, which is further enhanced by the pale blue water of the Carrera Lake. Though the entire area is threatened by an idea to build a nearby dam, visitors, for now, can kayak through the caves, when the waters are fairly calm. Get the best deals for the premier and most awesome hotels in Chile Chico! → Click here to book your stay in Chile Chico, Chile! [get_treks_content_sc id= 24012]
10. Victoria Falls, ZambiaForming the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia, the Victoria Falls are an impressive and thunderous wonder that was once called “The Smoke That Thunder” by the Kololo tribe who lived there in 1800s. Today, this natural extravaganza is known as the world’s greatest curtain of falling water. Score amazingly affordable hotels in Livingstone! → Click here to book your stay in Livingstone, Zambia!
11. Zhangye Danxia Geopark, ChinaThe smooth, shark and multi-colored rock formations that span hundreds of meters through this region in China are a sight that will awestruck any traveler. Praised for its wondrous colors and strangely beautiful natural shapes, this geopark is not just a UNESCO World Heritage site, but has also been voted as one of the most beautiful land-forms in the country by the Chinese media outlets. Enjoy the best cheap hotels in Zhangye with these superb options! → Click here to book your stay in Zhangye, China!
12. Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone National Park, USAThe Grand Prismatic Spring – the third largest spring in the world – is by far the undisputed star attraction of Yellowstone National Park. One of the most fascinating places to see in America, the Grand Prismatic Spring dazzles and stuns its beholders with its incredible size and prismatic waters. Enjoy the best cheap hotels in West Yellowstone with these superb options! → Click here to book your stay in West Yellowstone, USA!
13. White Desert, EgyptSahara el Beyda, or also known as “White Desert”, is an astonishing, magical and surreal site that beckons photography enthusiasts and curious travelers worldwide with its unusual snow-like desert landscapes. Famed for its splendid rock chalk formations, White Desert is speckled with beautiful white masterpieces that were formed through centuries of erosion and desert sand storms. Yes, the sculptures you see in this primo desert weren’t crafted by an avant-garde sculptor, but by nature herself. [get_treks_content_sc id= 23909]
14. Mount Roraima, VenezuelaBilled as one of the most wonderful places on earth, Mount Roraima offers breath-snatching views that might stick with you forever. Beloved for its unworldly landscapes, this 1,300-foot mountain is an inspiration to many works of art and movies today. As a matter of fact, the creators of the Pixar/Disney animated film “Up” climbed this mountain to gain additional insight of it. Bag surprisingly cheap accommodations in Caracas with these hotels! → Click here to book your stay in Caracas, Venezuela!
15. Machu Picchu, PeruThere’s a good reason why Machu Picchu was inscribed at the top of Lisa Simpson’s bucket list. Though it’s difficult to reach, the place is simply gorgeous and offers you a great opportunity to learn more about a lost culture. Get the best hotel deals in Machu Picchu with ease! → Click here to book your stay in Machu Picchu, Peru! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23097]
16. Giant’s Causeway, Northern IrelandThe Giant’s Causeway is, according to Irish folklore, the remnants of an ancient rock bridge built by gentle titans, to enable them to cross between Scotland and Ireland. Science, however, tell us that this wondrous phenomenon of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns was the aftereffect of an ancient eruption. Even though the actual origins are less mythical, the Giant’s Causeway is still one of most mystical and strikingly beautiful places on the face of the earth. Enjoy amazing hotel bargains for your Bushmills escape! → Click here to book your stay in Bushmills, United Kingdom!
17. Pamukkale, TurkeyPamukkale is home to a bunch of natural springs that leave travelers speechless and in awe. Just don’t forget to cap your trip with a plunge in one of its impressive and superb natural tubs. Score amazingly affordable hotels in Pamukkale! → Click here to book your stay in Pamukkale, Turkey!
18. Neuschwanstein Castle, GermanyNeuschwanstein Castle, one of the most photographed and visited castles in the world, once served as a refuge to an introvert king. Thankfully, the castle became accessible in 1886 to the public, shortly after the King Ludwig II’s death. Disney Fanatics will want to pay a visit to Germany to catch sight of the real-life inspiration for the Beast’s Castle in the 1991 movie, Beauty and the Beast. Enjoy the best cheap hotels in Schwangau with these superb options! → Click here to book your stay in Schwangau, Germany!
19. The Wave, Utah, United StatesThe Wave is a majestic sandstone rock formation located near the Utah-Arizona border, and is found on the slopes of the Coyote Buttes. You need to take a challenging hike to get there, but the opportunity to snap a myriad of awesome photographs is totally worth all the effort. Looking for a remarkable yet affordable hotel in Kanab? Why not check out these lovely hotel deals? → Click here to book your stay in Kanab, Utah, USA!
20. Angkor Wat, CambodiaHeaded to Southeast Asia? As far as I’m concerned, Angkor Wat is an intricate architectural and archaeological wonder that should be on everybody’s bucket list! Bag surprisingly cheap accommodations in Siem Reap with these hotels! → Click here to book your stay in Siem Reap, Cambodia! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23124]
21. Great Blue Hole, BelizeMore than a hundred thousand years ago, a limestone cave formed naturally in Belize. But, over time, the water levels rose, causing the roof of the cave to collapse. And as a result, the caved turned into a strange and beautiful natural marvel that we now call the Great Blue Hole, which is often deemed as one the world’s top and worthwhile diving spots. Get the best hotel deals in Belize City with ease! → Click here to book your stay in Belize City, Belize!
22. Huacachina, PeruSurrounded beautifully by huge sand dunes, Huacachina is a tiny, sweet and remote oasis famous for its fabulous collection of resorts and restaurants. Although the place is well-known as a hub for relaxation, this awesome Peruvian town can also get your fix for adventure through its thrilling outdoor diversions, such as sandboarding. And, by the way, did mention that it has a legendary mythical resident on its blue-green lagoon – a mermaid? Enjoy amazing hotel bargains for your Ica escape! → Click here to book your stay in Ica, Peru!
23. Icelandic highlandsSeeing the dazzling Aurora borealis in person is a rare and surreal experience that should be on every travel bucket list. And, one of the best places to see this evening show is in the highlands of Iceland. Experience a memorable trip to Reykjavik without spending a fortune with these great hotel bargains. → Click here to book your stay in Reykjavik, Iceland! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22656]
24. Sagano Bamboo Forest, JapanKyoto’s Bamboo Forest is often labeled as one of the world’s most beautiful green spaces, but it’s not just its charm that makes it fairly appealing. Additionally, the forest was included to the 100 Soundscapes of Japan, meaning this location is an auditory and visual delight. Indulge on a heavenly retreat for a very affordable price with these impressive hotels in Kyoto! → Click here to book your stay in Kyoto, Japan! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23061]
25. Valley of the Ten Peaks, CanadaThe Valley of the Ten Peaks is nestled in the world-famous Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada. From this spot, you may see and snap pictures of the 10 peaks, including Mount Tuzo, Neptuak Mountain and Mount Fay. Likewise, it’s possible to see a myriad of other peaks from within this vantage point. Get the best deals for the premier and most awesome hotels in Banff, Alberta! → Click here to book your stay in Banff, Alberta, Canada!
26. Stonehenge, EnglandThere’s plenty of mystery surrounding Stonehenge, and contrary to what those who think it’s just a pile of 25-ton rocks, it is actually quite a sight to behold. Get a guided tour, visit it during sunset, and enjoy a sensational glow of the sun setting between the pillars of Stonehenge. Score amazingly affordable accommodations in Salisbury with these terrific suggestions! → Click here to book your stay in Salisbury, United Kingdom! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22541]
27. Easter Island, ChileJust like Stonehenge, nobody really knows the story behind the eerily beautiful moai statues on Easter Island. Even so, these statues offer visitors great photo ops and an uncommon travel experience. Furthermore, the island has a plethora of options to offer to active and adventurous travelers, such as scuba diving and hiking. Score amazingly affordable hotels in Hanga Roa! → Click here to book your stay in Hanga Roa, Chile! Planning a trip to any of these surreal places? Don't forget to plan your trip with Trekeffect - the world's ultimate trip planning app!
Book Your Trip: Logistical Tips & Tricks
Shop for Travel EssentialsGet all of your essential travel gear right from our store. We hand pick the best travel products. Get everything from luggage to camping gear and other travel accessories for your trip.
Book your flightFind cheap flights using SkyScanner. This search engine is are our favorite, making sure you get the best deal for tickets all over the world. They are great at aggregating flights from multiple providers.
Book your accommodationsIf you're looking for a hostel, you should book it with Hostelworld. If you want to stay somewhere else, book with Trekeffect. Our hotel booking system is powered by the Priceline Partner Network and we donate 10% of the hotel booking value to UNICEF to help starving children around the world.
Don't forget travel insuranceProtects yourself against illness, injury, theft, and even cancellations with travel insurance. You're buying comprehensive protection in case anything goes wrong. We never recommend traveling without it. We’ve been using World Nomads, a great company, with great service and highly recommend them. - World Nomads (for everyone below 70) - Travelx Insurance (for those over 70)
Looking for the best companies to save money with?Check out our resource page for the absolute best companies to use when you travel! We list our favorite companies that save people the most money when they travel and we think it will help you too! Disclosure: Some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we earn a commission if you make a purchase. We only recommend products and companies we use and the income keeps the community supported.
Share Your Travel Experiences With Us
We want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on the article? What did you find most interesting and do you have any of your own experiences you can you share with us to make this article even better? Let us know in the comments!