Want to make the most of your time on our vast and beautiful world? Then, fill your days with life and color by crossing off every entry and activity on our list of incredibly fun things to do before you die. Trust me, these are epic experiences full of pleasant moments that you’ll rush to tell your family and friends.
1. Go lavender picking In Provence, FranceBook a trip to Provence, France and be swept away into bliss by the impossibly gorgeous lavenders fields that stretch out to the horizon. → Click here to book your stay in Provence, France! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22912]
2. Get lost for words at the Grand CanyonNo other natural wonder in America inspires more awe than the iconic Grand Canyon. [get_treks_content_sc id= 23018]
3. Swim with a bunch of whale sharksSwimming with these surprisingly gentle behemoths is not just a worthy entry on your list of things to do before you die, but it’s also among the world’s most powerful wilderness experiences. → Click here to book your stay in Oslob, Cebu, Philippines! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22757]
4. Swing on the Edge of the World in EcuadorIf you thought riding a swing is for children, think again. Yes folks, swings can also be a mind-blowing and heart-pumping experience, even for seasoned travelers and adventurists. Don’t believe me? Why not head to Casa Del Arbol, Ecuador, and take a crack at one of the world’s wildest swings? → Click here to book your stay in Baños, Ecuador!
5. Climb one of the world’s Seven SummitsClimbing mountains may not be for the faint-hearted, but a lot of people all over the world rank standing on top of a summit as one of the must-try things to do before you die. → Click here to book your stay in Kathmandu, Nepal! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23024]
6. Go to a music festivalTick off an entry on your summer bucket list by going on a kaleidoscopic and dynamic music festival. Watch your favorite bands play, soak in the energetic atmosphere, see dazzling fashions as well as experience life’s micro-culture in a large field with a seemingly endless sea of people. → Click here to book your stay in Los Angeles, USA! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22536]
7. Swim in Jellyfish Lake in PalauJellyfish Lake in Palau is home to millions of harmless and stingless jellyfish. For the first couple of minutes, you might find it frightening to be surrounded by a cluster of jellyfish. But, once your panic dissipates, you’ll find it as one of your all-time favorite things to do before you die.
8. Camp under the starsExperience the world’s wonder, with just a canvas that separates you from Mother Nature. Not only is it extremely relaxing, but it puts everything backing into perspective as well, especially when your life gets too clouded by all the complexities and trappings of the modern world.
9. Set foot on all seven continentsOnce you’ve reach every continent, you can wholeheartedly and confidently call yourself a certified world traveler. [get_treks_content_sc id= 22998]
10. Travel across India by trainWith its thorough rail network, traveling by train is indeed the ultimate way to see one of the most diverse and colorful countries on the face of the earth. → Click here to book your stay in Mumbai, India! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23050]
11. Traverse the awe-inspiring Salar de Uyuni in BoloviaThe immaculate and stunning white expanse of the world-famous Salar de Uyuni is by far the most extraordinary attraction in Bolivia. One of the best and most surreal things to do before you die, a visit to Salar de Uyuni lets you see the world’s largest salt lake, which is capped by a hard and thick salt crust that’s easily capable of supporting the weight of any car. For me, it’s best seen after a heavy rainfall, when it beautifully transforms into a gigantic mirror that reflects the sky and the surrounding snow-capped peaks. → Click here to book your stay in La Paz, Bolivia!
12. Scuba dive The Great Barrier ReefA plunge into the Great Barrier Reef is, as far I’m concerned, truly a must for underwater connoisseurs. Often labeled as one of the natural wonders of the world, it is the world’s largest coral reef and most extraordinary aquatic environment. If you consider yourself a bona fide dive enthusiast, then this aquatic adventure should be a shoo-in on your list of things to do before you die.
13. Live like a local for over a monthThe experience you’ll get from immersing into a place like local will give you way more insight into another way of life than a couple of years of hopping from one backpacker hub to the next.
14. Learn another languageIt may be a time-consuming and weighty proposition, but there are dozens of resources online to help ease and speed up the process. What’s more, it‘s amazingly rewarding as well as give you an excuse to travel.
15. Go to a major sporting eventGoing to a major sporting event is absolutely one of the must-try things to do before you die, even if you’re not a big-time sports fan. Offering a zesty and one-of-a-kind experience, a major sporting event can put you on a state of euphoria, thanks to the electric atmosphere of its enthusiastic sports crowd. Plus, it gives you a chance to meet tons of people and dive into other international cultures. → Click here to book your stay in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23088]
16. Experience Oktoberfest in MunichThe meeting of over a thousand drinking singers and beer lovers is one of Europe’s biggest parties, and totally a worthy entry to your list of things to do before you die. → Click here to book your stay in Munich, Germany!
17. Visit each capital city in EuropeSpeaking of Europe, the lovely continent is a mash-up of diverse cultures, and full of striking architecture. → Click here to book your stay in Prague, Czech Republic! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22551]
18. See the Northern LightsDeemed as one of travel’s most timeless charms, the Northern Lights or also called Aurora Borealis will have you swooning with joy, offering a memorable experience that’s both humbling and exciting. → Click here to book your stay in Reykjavik, Iceland! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22656]
19. SkydivingWhy not? It’s the thrill of a lifetime, and certainly one of the most exciting things to do before you die. → Click here to book your stay in Auckland, New Zealand! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23057]
20. Visit the grave site or birthplace of cultural iconWhether it’s Levi Strauss, Che Gueara or the guy who invented widgets, try to visit the birthplace or grave of any person you think is important. → Click here to book your stay in Paris, France! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22542]
21. Travel across a country using only its public transportationSee a whole country the way most of its local do – from the window of a ferry, train or bus. [get_treks_content_sc id= 23050]
22. Teach English in a foreign landNot only is it a great way to fund your trips, but it can also give you a rewarding and enriching experience. [get_treks_content_sc id= 23103]
23. Marvel at the Pyramids of EgyptFor history lovers, one of the can’t-miss things to do before you die is to get a taste of ancient Egypt by marveling at its breathtaking and impressive pyramids. → Click here to book your stay in Cairo, Egypt! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23909]
24. Bathe in Ganges RiverThere’s no better way to experience India’s spiritual heart than a dip at the most county’s most sacred river. → Click here to book your stay in Varanasi, India!
25. Visit Machu PicchuVery few sites across the world can rival the grandeur of Peru’s archaeological and architectural wonder. → Click here to book your stay in Machu Picchu, Peru! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23097]
26. Visit Angkor WatWith its timeless beauty and intricate carvings, it’s easy to why many travelers have inscribed Angkor Wat on top of their list of things to do before you die. → Click here to book your stay in Siem Reap, Cambodia! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23124]
27. Eat exotic foodFrom the crunchy fried bugs in Southeast Asia to Italy’s maggot cheese, there are plenty of strange dishes worldwide that are worth a try. → Click here to book your stay in Bangkok, Thailand! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22593]
28. Sample gelato in RomeNot fond of weird culinary treats? Tickle your taste buds with finest gelatos on the planet in Rome! → Click here to book your stay in Rome, Italy! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22537]
29. Jump off a cliffIt may not be as thrilling as skydiving, but it still can be pretty scary and exciting.
30. Visit Taj MahalThere’s no flat or dull angle of the Taj Mahal – the world’s most beautiful building. → Click here to book your stay in Agra, India! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23050]
31. Go on a road tripWhether you’re heading to Ohio or Yellowstone, going on a road trip is one of the coolest and most memorable things to do before you die, as a traveler.
32. Climb the famous Table Top Mountain in South AfricaIf the skies are pretty clear on your first day in Cape Town, then drop everything and go straight to Table Mountain. It’s a powerful icon and an ecological marvel for the whole African continent. Furthermore, the views from the top are simply unmissable and spectacular. → Click here to book your stay in Cape Town, South Africa! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22967]
33. Experience the Great Wall of ChinaThe Great Wall of China, contrary to popular belief, is not visible from outer space. What a bummer! Still, it’s an imperial and splendid man-made marvel that should be on every traveler’s bucket list. → Click here to book your stay in Beijing, China!
34. Experience Japan’s cherry blossomBe mesmerized by the eye-catching floral waves of cherry blossoms in Japan, during springtime. → Click here to book your stay in Kyoto, Japan! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22945]
35. Wildlife spotting in the GalapagosGet an up close of some of the planet’s most amazing animals by visiting the supremely protected eco-paradise known as the Galapagos. → Click here to book your stay in Galápagos, Ecuador!
36. Get blown away by Petra, JordanWith its fabulous ruins and breathtaking grandeur, it’s no wonder Petra was recognized by UNESCO as World Heritage site in 1985, making it one of the top things to do before you die, for travel junkies. → Click here to book your stay in Petra, Jordan!
37. Take a spiritual journey in JerusalemEven if you’re not really religious, a trip to Jerusalem still rightfully deserves a spot on your list of things to do before you die. After all, it is one of the oldest cities in the world as well as the cradle of many religions and cultures, flaunting an array of ancient architecture and historic museums. → Click here to book your stay in Jerusalem, Israel! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23930]
38. Watch the Olympics in personThink it’s not a nice entry to your list of things to do before you die? Say what you want to say about the growing commercialism of the Olympics, but you can’t deny the fact that it is the biggest and most prestigious sporting event in the world.
39. Explore Cappadocia, TurkeyCappadocia – an expanse of tunnel-riddled, cave-pocked and undulating rock at the heart of Turkey – is a landscape like no other. For me, it’s one of the rare spots that can draw quality and superb snaps even from inexperienced photographers, with a lovely rocky palette that shifts wondrously from terracotta through honey and pink to dazzling white.
40. Ride a Gondola in Venice, ItalyGliding through the serene Venetian waters, while being serenaded by a gondolier, against a magnificent backdrop of Baroque buildings is an experience you won’t forget, making it one of the top things to do before you die. → Click here to book your stay in Venice, Italy! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22552]
41. Float in the Dead SeaDon’t forget to bring a book, as you float around this one-of-a-kind salt lake. → Click here to book your stay in Jerusalem, Israel!
42. Explore MyanmarAlthough Myanmar isn’t as popular as its neighbors Thailand and Vietnam, it surely has a plethora of amazing sights and attractions to offer to people who’ve been infected by the travel bug. → Click here to book your stay in Yangon, Myanmar!
43. Visit all 50 StatesExplore your own backyard, and see all the charms and wonders of Uncle Sam by visiting all its 50 amazing states. Think it’s not possible? Believe us, there have been plenty of brave souls who have conquered this feat with flying colors. → Click here to book your stay in New York, USA! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22538]
44. Go to the top of the Eiffel TowerGet splendid view of Paris from the highest point of one of the most renowned landmarks in the world – the Eiffel Tower. → Click here to book your stay in Paris, France! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22542]
45. Make a wish in RomeThrow a coin or two, and make a wish in the well-known Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italy. And who knows? All your dreams and wishes might come true later on. → Click here to book your stay in Rome, Italy! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22537]
46. Wander around KyotoTake a walk down memory lane, and experience the old world charm of Japan by wandering around Kyoto. Afterwards, pay a visit to the ethereal and remarkable Sagano Bamboo Forest. → Click here to book your stay in Kyoto, Japan! [get_treks_content_sc id= 23061]
47. Visit StonehengeShrouded in mystery and drenched in beauty, this UNESCO World Heritage site will leave you speechless and in awe with its collection of towering structures from the Bronze and Neolithic Ages.
48. Watch the alluring Sunset in Satorini, GreeceWatching the beautiful sunset over the pastel-colored houses of Santorini is a worthwhile escape and one of the most fantastic things to do before you die. → Click here to book your stay in Santorini, Greece!
49. Cage dive in shark-infested watersWant to try something really crazy and terrifying? I suggest that you take a cage diving adventure with the Great White Sharks in South Africa. → Click here to book your stay in Cape Town, South Africa! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22967]
50. Travel aloneTraveling alone is an empowering, liberating, life-changing and exciting adventure that can do wonders to your life. Not only will it change your perspective in life, but it can also take your confidence up a notch. Moreover, it will teach you a handful of valuable life lessons and key skills that will come in handy in your everyday life. And, did I mention that it’s free from drama? → Click here to book your stay in Oslo, Norway! [get_treks_content_sc id= 22900]
Book Your Trip: Logistical Tips & Tricks
Shop for Travel EssentialsGet all of your essential travel gear right from our store. We hand pick the best travel products. Get everything from luggage to camping gear and other travel accessories for your trip.
Book your flightFind cheap flights using SkyScanner. This search engine is are our favorite, making sure you get the best deal for tickets all over the world. They are great at aggregating flights from multiple providers.
Book your accommodationsIf you're looking for a hostel, you should book it with Hostelworld. If you want to stay somewhere else, book with Trekeffect, as we consistently return the cheapest rates for guesthouses and hotels.
Don't forget travel insuranceProtects yourself against illness, injury, theft, and even cancellations with travel insurance. You're buying comprehensive protection in case anything goes wrong. We never recommend traveling without it. We’ve been using World Nomads, a great company, with great service and highly recommend them. - World Nomads (for everyone below 70) - Travelx Insurance (for those over 70)
Looking for the best companies to save money with?Check out our resource page for the absolute best companies to use when you travel! We list our favorite companies that save people the most money when they travel and we think it will help you too! Disclosure: Some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we earn a commission if you make a purchase. We only recommend products and companies we use and the income keeps the community supported.
Share Your Travel Experiences With Us
We want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on the article? What did you find most interesting and do you have any of your own experiences you can you share with us to make this article even better? Let us know in the comments!