There are very few cities and destinations in Europe that are as striking and adorable as Dresden, the capital city of Germany’s Saxony. One of the most underrated tourist destinations in Europe, Dresden is simply a gorgeous light-spirited German city drenched with spectacular vistas and historic architectural masterpieces. From stately buildings to baroque churches with towering spires, this utterly beautiful hub flaunts a deluge of buildings that will leave its visitors and onlookers in a state of amazement. What’s more, the city offers a pile of treasuries to please the eyes of those who have a taste for history and art.
Gemaldegalerie Alte Meister
Dresden Municipal Gallery and Art Collection
Military History Museum
Asisi Panometer Dresden
Visit the city of Dresden, and discover more fabulous buildings and magnificent sights. Before you go there, though, don’t forget to plan your trip with Trekeffect!
1. Grosser GartenThe fittingly named Great Garden (Grosser Garten) is a green baroque-style park with a fascinating oblong shape. Opened as a public park in 1814, the Grosser Garten boasts avenues and pathways that are symmetrically arranged. → Click here to book your stay in Dresden, Germany!
2. ResidenzschlossLocated right at the heart of Dresden, the Residenzschloss, or also known as the Royal Palace, is a fortress-like architecture that served as a residence to the mighty Saxon rulers from the 1400s to 1918. Praised for its gripping Renaissance Revival architectural style, the royal palace is also known for its terrific collection of artifacts and exhibits. → Click here to book your stay in Dresden, Germany!
3. Procession of PrincesA trip to the city of Dresden is best enjoyed with a visit to the Procession of Princes. A massive street mural, the Procession of Princes is a 394-foot porcelain art wall that portrays some of the most popular rulers of Saxony. As you visit this large fresco, make sure to take photos of it, and store them safely in your memory card or flash drive. → Click here to book your stay in Dresden, Germany!
4. SemperoperDesigned by the architect Gottfried Semper, the Semperoper is a glamorous architectural jewel with a charming mash-up of Baroque, Corinthian and Renaissance architectural styles. Known as one of the greatest opera houses in Europe, this grand engineering wonder is best seen at night, when its lights would highlight its imperial architectural beauty. Also, did I mention that it has opulent decorations inside? → Click here to book your stay in Dresden, Germany!
5. Zwinger PalaceThe straddling Zwinger Palace is truly one of the most dazzling baroque edifices in all of Germany. Tagged as one of the most famous tourist hot spots in Dresden, this ravishing site showcases a ton of sensational sights, such as its lovely gardens, eye-catching pavilions, and remarkable art collections. In my book, the Zwinger Palace is one of the cant-miss places to visit in Dresden. → Click here to book your stay in Dresden, Germany!
6. KunsthofpassageTake a leisurely walk along Kunsthofpassage’s pathways, and feast your eyes on an array of psychedelic facades adorned with refreshing and eccentric artistic designs, such as the Court of Animals and Court of the Elements. → Click here to book your stay in Dresden, Germany!
7. FrauenkircheDeemed as the most celebrated landmark in the city of Dresden, the Frauenkirche is a domed architectural eyeful that has graced the city’s skyline for over a hundred of years. Although church was bombed and completely destroyed during the Second World War, it literally rose from its ashes, to restore its former grandeur. Originally built as a Roman Catholic church, the Frauenkirche is now considered the ultimate paradigm of sacred Protestant architecture, thanks to its remarkable design and colossal dome (one of the largest domes in the continent). By the way, the church has a viewing platform where you can enjoy panoramic views of the city. → Click here to book your stay in Dresden, Germany!
The top museums in DresdenWhat are the best museums in this German city? Take a look at these suggestions:
Book Your Trip: Logistical Tips & Tricks
Shop for Travel EssentialsGet all of your essential travel gear right from our store. We hand pick the best travel products. Get everything from luggage to camping gear and other travel accessories for your trip.
Book your flightFind cheap flights using SkyScanner. This search engine is are our favorite, making sure you get the best deal for tickets all over the world. They are great at aggregating flights from multiple providers.
Book your accommodationsIf you're looking for a hostel, you should book it with Hostelworld. If you want to stay somewhere else, book with Trekeffect. Our hotel booking system is powered by the Priceline Partner Network and we donate 10% of the hotel booking value to UNICEF to help starving children around the world.
Don't forget travel insuranceProtects yourself against illness, injury, theft, and even cancellations with travel insurance. You're buying comprehensive protection in case anything goes wrong. We never recommend traveling without it. We’ve been using World Nomads, a great company, with great service and highly recommend them. - World Nomads (for everyone below 70) - Travelx Insurance (for those over 70)
Looking for the best companies to save money with?Check out our resource page for the absolute best companies to use when you travel! We list our favorite companies that save people the most money when they travel and we think it will help you too! Disclosure: Some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we earn a commission if you make a purchase. We only recommend products and companies we use and the income keeps the community supported.
Share Your Travel Experiences With Us
We want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on the article? What did you find most interesting and do you have any of your own experiences you can you share with us to make this article even better? Let us know in the comments!