5 Amazing Things To Do In Melbourne
Melbourne, the capital of Victoria, is an arty, stylish and zesty hub full of life and crowd pullers. Billed as the cultural capital of Australia, this dynamic cosmopolitan city will delight its visitors with its fantastic collection of lush gardens, large parks, theatres, galleries, museums, shopping centers, and striking Victorian-era architectural jewels.
Known as “Australia’s events capital”, this buzzing city is also home to some of the most prestigious festivals and sporting events in the region, such as the Australian Open and Melbourne Cup. Not to mention, the city boasts a handful of colorful zoos where you can catch a glimpse of Australia’s unique and intriguing wildlife.
From sightseeing to enjoying sumptuous culinary goodies, there are tons of fascinating things to do in this cultural capital. As you plan a trip to Melbourne using vacation trip planner, make sure to take note of these words of advice.
1. Enjoy the magnificent panoramic sights of the city
Start your trip to this Australian city with a blast by enjoying panoramic vistas of the city at the Eureka Skydeck, the highest viewing platform in the entire Southern Hemisphere. Located right at the heart of the city, the Skydeck can also serve as great base point for any visit to Melbourne, as it lets you determine where you will be heading.
For thrill-seekers who wish to take the panoramas a step further, you may experience “The Edge”, which is a spine-tingling foray that takes you over the edge while standing in a glass box.
2. Discover the wildlife attractions of Melbourne
Melbourne has a plethora of aquariums and zoos that can keep you and your children entertained for a few days. The city offers a wide range of wildlife attractions, covering exotic animals from abroad to the best local Australian species.
Some of the best wildlife attractions in the city include
- Melbourne Aquarium – An award-winning aquarium that lets you get up close and personal with the Antarctic penguins. Likewise, it is hosts to other wonderful and bizarre sea creatures. Best of all, it features the shark xtreme dive experience, which allows you to touch the marvelous predators of the ocean.
- Werribee Open Range Zoo – A 225-hectare open savannah that serves as a home to some of the most popular African animals.
- Healesville Sanctuary – A facility dotted with Australia’s iconic wildlife, including dingoes, emus, kangaroos and koalas.
- Melbourne Zoo – A zoo that shelters over 300 animal species, including meerkats, lions, elephants and gorillas.
3. Street art hunting
The city is famous all over the country for its eye-catching and diverse street art. Of course, these brilliant works of art are free for you to view. One of the most popular sites for street art in the city is Hosier Lane, a pedestrian cobbled laneway nestled in the midst of Melbourne. As a visitor in this site, expect to see heaps of tourist wielding their cameras, and cellular phones. Aside from Hosier Lane, you may also hunt for kaleidoscopic street art in other sites, including the Canada lane and Centre Place.
4. Hot air balloon ride
Tourists who want to get unforgettable cityscape sights should take an exciting hot air balloon ride over the city. In this aerial journey, you get to take in the city’s majestic beauty, as well as enjoy bird’s eye view of its buildings and landmarks.
A helpful tip:
5. A ride at the City Circle Tram
Hopping aboard the City Circle tram is an absolute must for anyone visiting Melbourne. Not only is it free, but is also gives you a beautiful overview of the top tourist attractions in the city.
Discover more of Melbourne’s top and most celebrated attractions by planning a trip to this destination with Trekeffect!